Friday 22 February 2013

Rambling Dream Fever (the creative process?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv6ZN2BaCEU

I created this song years ago, some time around when I first started learning how to play the guitar. It was really just a way to take what were (to me) a gibberish poem I had scribbled down late one night and set it to the few chords I happened to know at the time.

Lately a friend lent me a little device called a Maschine. It is neat once you figure out how to make the buttons do things, and I'm just tenacious enough with things that make noise to do just that. I am not exactly sure what the technical name for such a piece of equipment is. It is some sort of sequencer/synthesizer device. Simply put, you push buttons, and it makes noise.

I was listening to a hip hop song called Dead and Gone and I had been struggling with this little do-hicky thingamajig for about a week, thoroughly convinced that anything that could make so many different noises must be a good thing, but equally convinced that I had wasted a whopping amount of time creating sound patterns I would probably never do anything with it.

I suddenly remembered this old rambling song that I rarely play.

It took me a few days to "finish" the new version, which is quite different than the chords I used to pick out on the guitar. I was not able to add guitar to the song because of the tunes incredibly strange tempo. In fact, the backbeat little piano melody thing keeps horrible time.

More importantly I do not think that anything I did on the guitar actually added to the song.

It is what it is.

Life comes full circle some times. "Rambling Dream Fever" is a song created from a "poem" I wrote back in high school, written at a time when I hardly knew how to play the guitar. Ten years later it has taken a new form, created entirely on a new instrument, this time called a Maschine, that I hardly know how to play.

I wish I had more time to learn all the instruments I would like to play.

I love making noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment